Structural steel or popularly known as a steel plate is simply a steel sheet material, which can be customarily cut and welded for developing a more elaborate product. A steel plate is made by compressing multiple steel layers together to form a plate of steel. Therefore, you will have different thicknesses and thinness of the product.
The applications for steel plates are based on the specifics of a project. For example, if you are going to use it for a road bridge, probably it will be the thickest steel plate used. Any project can make use of this product unless you need it for a temporary project that steel plate hire service fits your needs.
Is a steel plate a kind of metal?
Yes, a steel plate is defined as a metal thicker than a foil but thinner than plate thickness. The thickness or gauge determines the designation of the following
- When metal foil turned as metal sheet
- When metal sheet turned as metal plate
Steel plate versus metal sheet
Steel plate and steel metal or rarely paired together. It is essential to know the difference between the two and help determine which type suits your needs. In construction, you need to understand the difference between the two to make sure that you are picking the right material you need.
- Steel plate. It is a metal that is defined as a metal sheet 6mm or thicker. The material is measured in inches. The steel plate can be segmented into three levels:
- Low carbon steel plates
- Medium carbon steel plates
- High carbon steel plates
The strength and hardness of the steel plate metal increase with higher carbon content. Here are some of the most common uses of steel plate metal:
- Structural applications
- Reinforcing columns
- Steel sheet. It is a metal defined as thicker than foil. It has a sheet metal thickness of 0.5mm to 6mm, being considered as sheet metal. The material is measured in gauges. It can be corrugated, perforated, or raised and flat.
Different sheet materials
There are three different kinds of sheet metals, such as:
- Aluminum sheet and plate
- Brass sheet and plate
- Stainless steel sheet and plate
All these are guaranteed excellent materials. But, most of the construction companies and services choose to pick the steel plate. For them, it is an excellent choice of material as it can’t be rusted. So, it can withstand any weather condition and is easy to clean as well.